Today, the most encompassing definition of a "GREEN" chemical has been developed by the US Government. RPCM® is the only phase change material on the market today that meets every single criteria, and the only one that carries the USDA's official BioPreferred Certification.
It states that a "GREEN" chemical:
- Must NOT contain *'carcinogens', **'mutagens', or ***'teratogens'.
Must NOT contain any ozone depleting compounds, greenhouse gases or substances that contribute to smog
- Must have a chemical P.H. between 4 and 9.
- Must NOT be corrosive or irritating to the skin or eyes.
- V.O.C. levels must meet or be less volatile than the California Code of Regulations maximum allowable V.O.C. level for various categories.
- Must NOT be delivered in aerosol cans with a petrochemical propellant.
- Must NOT contain petrochemical-derived fragrances.
- Must NOT contain dyes.
- Must be dispensed through automatic systems in order to reduce employee contact with chemicals.
- Must NOT contain any chemicals under Section 313 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act.
- Must NOT constitute hazardous wastes.
- Must NOT contain arsenic, lead, cadium, cobalt, chromium, mercury, zinc, nickel and/or selenium.
- Must NOT contain petroleum distillates.
- Must NOT be "combustible".
- Must be "Biodegradable".
- Must be "Bio-based".
- Must NOT contain chlorinated solvents.
- Must NOT contain persistent or bio-accumulative substances.
*carcinogen = cancer-causing agent
**mutagen = any agent, such as ultraviolet light, radioactive element, or chemical ingredient which can induce or increase the frequency of mutation in an organism
***teratogens = (According to "American Heritage"), any agent such as virus, a drug, or radiation, that adversely affects and causes malformations of a developing embryo or fetus ). The President of the United States has signed Executive Order 13101, mandating the purchase of environmentally preferable products and services. According to E.O. 13101, "environmentally preferable" means "products or services that have a lesser or reduced effect on human health and the environment when compared with competing products or services that serve the same purpose. The Glacier Tek RPCM® Cooling Vest is the only product on the market that meets the requirements of this Executive Order.
For more information...